1. What are your interests?
- Walking: interconnected paths, visual interest in the city
- Diversity and inclusiveness: mixed neighbourhoods, celebrate differences
- Accessible: freedom of mobility and care for the vulnerable
- Affordability: housing
- Sustainable city: environmental. Social, cultural, economic
- Social Ecology:
2. What do you want to see happen?
- Take back the streets from automobile domination: engage active transportation and integrated design practices. (2 local examples are Bethune Street reconstruction and Stewart Street community plan)
- Green space & parks: develop, enhance, maintain. (2 local examples are the Zoo and Harper Park)
- Long term Plan: implement the vision
- Continue to support the many active groups in town: affordable housing, sustainability, accessibility, poverty, food, etc. (local example: The Mount)
3. What else is connected to your interests and what would you support? What runs contrary to your vision? (our group didn’t really land on a good question here – there were too many – so the responses were varied)
- Business and personal self interests can be an impediment
- the automobile has more power
- people in power need more broadened experiences of the city
- 4. Who else might support….? (again, we didn’t land on a single question so the responses are varied)
4. Who else might support….? (again, we didn’t land on a single question so the responses are varied)
- get at political candidates before they are elected
- seniors and youth and young adults
- an engaged community rather than a disconnected one
Wrap up statement from the first group:
- “Bottom up, inspired and engaged population leading to an inspired official plan.”
1. Develop connections and build community through small groups: neighbourhood associations, churches, gardens.
2. Consider biodiversity and ecological integrity: natural environments include all sentient beings.
Final connecting statement from second group: community engagement and interconnection may be found through the concept or metaphor of BIOSPHERE – a place where all things are connected biologically. We are humans connected to the air and water and wildlife around us, we cannot be fragmented and isolated. Accept the interdependencies.